Welcome

Welcome to my little world! My name is Donna and I'm the mother of one very spoiled kitty named Clarice. I was a banker for over 20 years but now I'm a SAHM and loving every minute of it. I'm a super, huge Bon Jovi fan and an avid cross stitcher. I love decorating my home with flea market finds, primitive style items and vintage items. My hubby says if the last three generations threw it out as trash it'll end up in our house as a decoration.



Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Just a really quick post but you how when you've found something amazing that you just can't wait to share it with everyone???  Well here's mine and I fixed it yesterday in the slow cooker then drove to the airport to pick Mark up.  It's just so easy and delicious that I have to share with everyone!  Mark even requested it for dinner again tonight so I mixed up another batch to put with our leftovers and it's simmering away already.  The best part is the homemade tortilla strips for the top of the soup.....yummy!  We dressed ours up with avocado slices, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. 

Ingredients
  • 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken-I used a cooked chicken from grocery store
  • 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn with peppers
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 7 corn tortillas
  • vegetable oil

Directions

  1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  3. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
  4. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 258 | Total Fat: 10.7g | Cholesterol: 44mg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments good or bad so chat away!